Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wormhole TOS


Wormhole is a big Wargame. That is, it takes up a lot of space. Some of the models for the game are a foot long! Each ship in your fleet also requires a TOS which is a control panel. This panel has a bunch of switches for giving orders to the ship, also a slider for recording damage.

My problem with this is that you play with a fleet, that's a lot of ships and therefore a lot of TOS Control Panels. So the game that already takes up a lot of space due to the models, also takes up a lot of space for fleet management. I kind of resent the extra space, so this week I've started putting together a piece of software to take care of this.

I'm about two and a half hours into the development cycle and it's coming together quite nicely. I've got half of a TOS for one type of ship on screen with working switches. I reckon in another ten hours or so I should have a nice bit of kit here that will allow any number of fleets to be controlled from a single laptop. I plan on releasing this into the community when done. Of course I'll have to get permission from the game owners first, but I suspect they'll be up for it.

No comments: