Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Remaking Lost Patrol


A good few months ago I made a copy of "Lost Patrol". The tiles for the game were posted on the games page at Board Game Geek.

There is always a dodgey feeling when you do this as the imagery itself is still under copyright and no explicit permission is associated with the files in question.

My feelings on this are that if a game is out of print, and the copyright owners have not complained or requested the files be removed your pretty much free to go ahead. Understand this is not legal advice, it's just how I feel about it. I suspect that any boardgame owner/designer is going to know about BoardGameGeek and surely they would have raised a rumpus if they objected right? I mean these files have been up there for years.

Anyway, where am I heading with this? I just revisited the Lost Patrol page at Board Game Geek and found THREE different and new Tile Sets usable for playing the game in the files section. WOW! Three new tile sets meaning you dont need to use copies of the original artwork. Couple that with the fact that you can use free and totally legal Paper Mini's for the Marines and your able to make the game without worry or concern.

Incidentally, all three of these sets share two similarities. 1 ) They are excellently produced. 2) They dont appear to have "Tangle Weed" or equivalent.

This second point makes quite a difference to game play as it can make the marines more prone to danger.

I'm downloading these files and storing them, because I'll be using them if I ever have to replace the set I currently have.

Check it!

No comments: